Homemade Dishwasher Detergent Step-By-Step Guide 
You own a best dishwasher in the market and cleaning the dishwasher is highly complex especially with detergents. Do you that you can make homemade dishwasher cleaner which is best for cleaning your dishwasher? Well, you heard it right. You can prepare your own DIY homemade dishwasher detergent and use it to clean your dishwasher.
The main goal and intention of making your own homemade dishwasher soap is that, using something natural detergent which is made from natural ingredients, rather than using those over-priced dishwasher detergents so that you can save some money.
Today in this post we will be taking you through the exact step-by-step homemade dishwasher detergent recipe that you too can prepare rather than using commercial dishwasher detergents. Not only that we have listed out many homemade detergents for dishwasher cleaning which you can adopt depending upon your needs.
The homemade dishwasher detergent soap along with the natural rinse agent for cleaning works perfectly well, is easy to prepare and will give you best results.
Before we get started, let us first understand what are the benefits of homemade dishwasher detergent for cleaning your dishwasher:
Benefits of Homemade Dishwasher Cleaner
1. Inexpensive and are best alternatives over commercial dishwasher agents
2. No threats of harmful chemicals as you know the ingredients very well
3. Non usage of harmful harsh chemicals which could damage your utensils or dishwasher
4. No emission of chlorine gas as the dishwasher cleaner is made with natural ingredients when compared with commercial detergents
5. Effectively acts as the best sanitizer
6. Works perfectly in removing strain from the utensils
7. Acts as a perfect water softener
8. Phosphate-free and is environmentally eco-friendly
9. No question of allergies as you are not going to add any scents which can attract allergies
10. Can be trusted easily over commercial detergents
Best Homemade Dishwasher Cleaner Recipes 
Preparing the best DIY dishwasher cleaner with natural ingredients is not an easy job, especially when you don’t have any experience in DIY detergent recipes. But not to worry, at the modern kitchen ideas we are bringing this article for you with various dishwasher cleaning recipes that you can prepare it on your own.
The best homemade dishwasher detergent recipes:
1. Borax and Baking Soda Recipe
Ingredients required for preparing borax and baking soda dishwasher cleaner are,
1. Borax – One Table Spoon
2. Baking Soda – One Table Spoon
Borax and baking soda recipe is one of the best homemade dishwasher cleaner detergent as it perfectly cleans all of your dirty and grime utensils easily in dishwasher.
The borax and baking soda are considered to be the best natural disinfectants which are mildly abrasive in nature. This nature allows them to easily wash away the food that is stuck on your utensils and the gems that are present on the dirty utensils. Please make a note that the borax is considered as the most common ingredient in almost of all commercial detergents.
Steps to use borax and baking soda dishwasher cleaner:
1. Mix the borax and baking soda in equal proportions
2. Add it to the dishwasher’s detergent compartment
3. Run the dishwasher as usual
4. For large number of utensils, you can use the same borax and baking soda in 1 to 1 ratios, equally, which will do the trick
2. Borax and Washing Soda Recipe
Ingredients required for preparing borax and washing soda dishwasher cleaner are,
1. Borax – One Table Spoon
2. Washing Soda – One Table Spoon
3. Kosher Salt – Half Table Spoon
4. Food Grade Citric Acid – Half Table Spoon
For most of the people, the borax and baking soda recipe proved best dishwasher cleaner. But for few people who are facing the very thin highly noticeable film formation on their dishes, they can use the borax and washing soda recipe which is combined with citric acid and salt which makes it a perfect cleaning agent for dishwasher.
This dishwasher cleaner recipe of borax, washing soda, citric acid and a salt will give you better and more effective results in cleaning your dishes and glass utensils smoothly and effectively. Just make sure that you pick the food-grade citric acid or an unsweetened lemonade mix which will give you great results.
Steps to use borax and washing soda dishwasher cleaner:
1. Mix borax, washing soda, salt and citric acid in the ratios of 1:1:1/2:1/2
2. Make sure that you use not more than one to two tablespoons of mixed ingredients per load of dishes
3. Just add the mixture to the dishwasher detergent compartment
4. Give a dishwasher wash as usual, that’s it
5. For a lemony scent, you can add unsweetened lemonade mix as a citric acid
6. If the water you are using is a hard water, then salt is must as it softens the water. If the water is already soft, then you don’t require the salt
7. If you have more than usual dishes to be cleaned, then you can alter the mixing ratio in 2:2:1:1
3. Borax Free Recipe
Ingredients required for preparing borax and washing soda dishwasher cleaner are,
1. Washing Soda – 3 Table Spoons
2. Citric Acid – 3 Table Spoons
3. Baking Soda – 1 Table Spoon
4. Kosher Salt – 1 Table Spoon
For some reason who doesn’t like to use borax in cleaning their dishwasher, they can completely skip the above two recipes and can follow the borax-free recipe. You can replace the borax with the washing soda, which also gives the same presence and creates the similar chemical reaction which perfectly cleans your dishes.
Steps to use borax-free dishwasher cleaner:
1. Add and mix washing soda, citric acid, baking soda, and salt in the ratios of 3:3:3:1
2. Store the mixture in any glass container and use as required
3. You can skip the addition of salt if you have a soft water and you can add salt only if the water is hard water
4. As required the ratios can be varied in terms of 3:3:3:1 when you have more utensils to clean than usual
4. Homemade Dishwasher Soap Recipe
The best possible and simplest dishwasher cleaner recipe is the DIY homemade dishwasher soap which is one among the dishwasher cleaning detergents for cleaning grime and dirty dishes. This DIY dishwasher recipe is unique and only makes use of a dish soap, baking soda and an iodized salt.
Ingredients required for preparing DIY homemade dishwasher soap dishwasher cleaner are,
1. Method Dish Soap – 3 Drops
2. Arm & Hammer Baking Soda – 3 Table Spoons
3. Diamond Crystal Iodized Salt – 1 Table Spoon
Steps to use homemade dishwasher soap dishwasher cleaner:
1. Place the dirty, grime and goo dishes into the dishwasher
2. Add 3 drops of method dish soap to dishwasher detergent cup
3. Add 2/3 cup arm & hammer baking soda
4. Add diamond crystal salt until the detergent cup is completely full
5. Run the dishwasher as usual
Once the dishwasher completes its washing cycle, now you will be left with highly cleaned dishes which hardly costed any money compared to commercial detergents.
How to Make the 5 Ingredients DIY Homemade Dishwasher Detergent Cleaner
The following is the 5 ingredients DIY dishwasher detergent recipe for anyone in home can prepare and use it as a dishwasher detergent for cleaning their dirty and grime dishes. Just follow the below step by step guide for dishwasher cleaner homemade:
1. Keep all the 5 Ingredients at one place
· 20 Mule Team Borax
· Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
· Morton Coarse Kosher Salt
· Milliard Citric Acid
· Heinz White Vinegar
2. Add 1 cup of borax to any empty storage jar
3. Add 1 cup of washing soda to the same storage jar
4. Add 1/2 cup of citric acid for soft water and add 1 cup of citric acid if the water is hard water
5. Add 1/2 cup of kosher salt to the same storage jar
6. Close the lid and give it a very good shake
7. Use 1 tablespoon per load of dishes as dishwasher cleaning detergent
8. Now add a small amount of white vinegar in the rinse aid compartment
9. If you don’t have white vinegar, then you can use lemon juice as a rinsing agent
Safety Tips and Warnings For Using DIY Dishwasher Cleaner
1. Borax, Washing Soda, Baking Soda, Food-Grade Citric Acid and Kosher Salt can be brought from general store near you. If you don’t find them on your nearest grocery stores you can always buy them from amazon
2. Salt becomes an additional ingredient, especially when the water you use for cleaning your dishwasher is hard water. Hence, salt can be avoided or can be used very less when you have soft water for cleaning your dishes
3. You can save more time by preparing and storing the recipes in bulk quantity at once
4. Always keep the prepared dishwasher detergent away from the children and pets
5. Additionally, for DIY rinse agent you can always add white vinegar to the dishwasher compartment for better results
6. To avoid dishwasher detergent clumping, you can add a teaspoon of rice to the detergent storage jar which will absorb the moisture
7. Once you prepare the mixture, leave the detergent storage jar with lid opened and stir it twice or thrice a day or two days before you completely close the lid and store it
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
Find all frequently asked questions related to homemade dishwasher detergents here:
How to avoid dishwasher detergent clumping?
The easiest way is to add a one to two tablespoons of rice in a small sock to the detergent mixture which absorbs the moisture and helps to prevent the clumping. Other than this you can also make use of two tablespoons of bentonite clay in a small sock and place it inside the detergent storage jar. This also helps to absorb moisture too. You can see the same on newly ordered electronic items where they will keep a small sock of silica. But don’t use the same silica here.
How to avoid the presence of hard water droplets on dishes?
The best way to prevent hard water droplets is to lower the addition of washing soda. Meaning add 1 cup of washing soda instead of 2 cups of washing soda. Additionally add powdered oxygen bleach that contains no fillers. This mixture will surely help you prevent the hard water droplets.
Do you need a rinsing aid such as white vinegar?
The answer is not necessarily. It is an additional ingredient which will help the dishwasher clean the dishes effectively. Adding a small amount of white vinegar enhances the cleaning efficiency and helps to remove grime and goo easily.
Is Borax toxic?
Borax is not a toxic ingredient as it acts as a perfect ingredient for preparing the detergents. Borax is toxic same as that of a baking soda or a table salt. Since, they are commonly used in preparing DIY detergents, they are not toxic. But do remember that, the excess use of borax than prescribed can be toxic. So, use the borax as prescribed and not more than the ratios prescribed.
What home remedy can I use to clean my dishwasher?
The best way to clean your dishwasher is to pour one cup of vinegar which is plain white and distilled in a container on the bottom rack of the dishwasher and pour a half-cup of baking soda into a small dish which needs to be placed on the top rack, or swap for two dishwasher-cleaning bombs. This will do the trick.
What is the best homemade dishwasher detergent?
To make your own homemade dishwasher detergent tabs you need the following 5 ingredients:
1. 1 Cup Washing Soda (cleaner)
2. 1 Cup Baking Soda (cuts out grease)
3. 3 Packages of Unsweetened Lemonade Drink Mix (acts as a cleaning powder, antibacterial and smells awesome)
4. 1 Cup of Kosher Salt (reduces hard water build up – you might be able to reduce this amount if you have soft water)
5. 1 Cup Water
Instructions for the best homemade dishwasher detergent tabs:
1. Mix all the 5 ingredients in any large utensil or bowl of your choice with the help of a spoon
2. Now leave the mixture as it is in a glass jar to settle down for a day
3. Now add a cup of water to the mixture taken in a large utensil or bowl
4. Allow it for fizzing and bubbling at-least for 1 to 2 minutes
5. Now you can pour the mixture to the Ice Cube Trays. Make sure that you press the mixture with the help of your fingers or a square wooden stick so that the mixture is compressed tightly and firmly packed
6. Now place the ice cube trays in a dry and sunny spot and allow them to dry out completely, at-least for a day to two days
7. Once they dried, crack the dishwasher tabs as similar to the way you crack ice cubes. You will be presented with a lemonade smell dishwasher tabs
8. Now to use dishwasher tabs, add one tab to the detergent compartment and rinse it with a white vinegar during use
How do you clean a dishwasher with vinegar and baking soda?
As we all know that cleaning a dishwasher may seem redundant and highly time consuming especially when you don’t know how to clean dishwasher? But routine cleaning of your dishwasher can extend the lifespan of your dishwasher and keep it running efficiently.
Just follow the below steps for cleaning your dishwasher with the help of vinegar and baking soda:
1. Remove any food remnants that you found at the bottom rack. You can do so by removing the bottom rack of the dishwasher to access the drain from where cleaning can be done
2. Run a hot water cycle in an empty dishwasher by placing a cup of vinegar on the upper rack
3. Again run another hot water cycle by sprinkling one cup of baking soda across the bottom of the dishwasher
4. Clean the dishwasher with baking soda and vinegar once every month for increasing the longer lifespan of dishwasher
How do I clean my dishwasher myself?
The best way to clean the dishwasher by yourself is to fill a dishwasher-safe bowl with one cup of pure distilled white vinegar and then place it on the bottom of the empty dishwasher. Run the dishwasher on a hot water cycle. The vinegar present will help to break down any remaining bits and pieces of food, soap scum, grease, food residue, and any other leftover grime or goo.
What is a natural dishwasher cleaner?
The best natural dishwasher cleaner is to clean the dishwasher with the help of vinegar. To do so, you can start with an empty dishwasher on hot water cycle. Then make use of baking soda by sprinkling one cup of baking soda across the bottom of the dishwasher for a rinse hot water cycle.
Is vinegar bad for dishwasher?
Yes, vinegar is bad for dishwasher when used extensively and regularly on daily basis. This is because vinegar is a strong acid and vinegar can help to break down the rubber gaskets and hoses in your dishwasher, which will cause a costly breakdown. Also, if it is mixed with salt, upon extensive usage, then from bits of food on your dishes, the vinegar has the ability to discolor metal pans, flatware and mixing bowls.
What is a good substitute for dishwasher detergent?
The good substitute for dishwasher detergent are Dawn and Palmolive. For this you can add three drops of liquid dishwashing soap such as Dawn, Palmolive in the soap slot of your dishwasher. Now, fill the rest of the slot with baking soda and close it. You will get your dishes well cleaned as if you have used a dishwasher tab for cleaning your dishwasher.
What can I use instead of dishwasher salt?
The best substitute instead of dishwasher salt is the kosher salt. This can be used to rinse along with vinegar for preparing dishwasher detergent. For a natural recipe, use half borax and half baking soda mixture, which will help you clean your dishwasher efficiently. Apart from this you can use dishwasher tablets per load over powder.
Can I use regular dishwashing liquid in my dishwasher?
Never use regular dishwashing liquid as they can damage your dishwasher and dishes too. Ordinary dish and hand soaps are intended to create lots of foamy suds which can cause clogging and cause the foam to come out of the dishwasher. Moreover, you also need to clean out the messy floor which becomes an unnecessary additional task.
Can you mix baking soda and vinegar to clean?
Yes, you can mix baking soda and vinegar. A mix up of baking soda and vinegar both helps to clean your complete home including your kitchen cabinets, dishwasher and so on.
Is baking soda safe for dishwasher?
Yes, baking soda is safe for dishwasher. Using a baking soda and vinegar can really help you clean your dishwasher and dishes too along with all the moving parts of dishwasher. Do remember that, dishwasher works as a cleaning agent for both the moving parts of dishwasher and dishes too.
How do you unclog a dishwasher with baking soda?
To unclog a dishwasher, you can start by pouring a solution of baking soda and vinegar down the basket or rack at the bottom of your dishwasher. Then allow it to settle down for 10-15 minutes, and then pour a pot of boiling hot water down the rack or basket. That’s it clears the clog.
Can you put vinegar in dishwasher with dishes?
Distilled pure white vinegar can be used as a rinsing aid in the dishwasher, specifically to fight hard water staining. To have a safer side of dishwasher cleaning, pour the vinegar in a dishwasher-safe bowl on the top rack of your dishwasher. This also helps to clean the dishes as the vinegar can easily reach the dishes which are most affected by hard water marks.
How do I deep clean my dishwasher with vinegar?
To deep clean your dishwasher, firstly you need to remove any foreign material that you can find from the drain. Pour a white vinegar in a bowl and place it on the top rack and run a complete hot wash cycle. Now you can sprinkle a handful of baking soda across the bottom rack of your dishwasher and run another short hot water cycle.
Can I use OxiClean to clean dishwasher?
Yes, you can use OxiClean to clean appliances such as dishwasher. The best part is that it is easy to use OxiClean as a dishwasher soap, and along with your normal dishwasher soap to get your dishes sparkling clean.
[…] l Homemade dishwasher cleaner […]